Today’s topic might be related to minimalism, but it is very important for all of us. Let’s talk about ecology and the fenomen of zero waste.
What zero waste is?
Zero waste is a type of lifestyle. It’s goal is to reach no produce of waste and care more about environment.
The point is that if each of us at least tried to produce less waste, it would be much better. Zero waste is focused on individuals. It’s up to you what do you want to reduce or quit. It tries to redesign the recent consuming one-way industrial system.
Zero Waste maximizes recycling, minimizes waste, reduces consumption and ensures that products are made to be reused, repaired or recycled back into nature or the marketplace.
How to do it?
Imagine all the waste you produce in one week. How many times do you have to take out the trash? Please, at least, sort all of the waste you produce. It’s a necessity, which is not a matter of course fortunately.
You can get better step by step. I think the biggest waste problem is plastic. Almost everything is packed in it, we use plastic bags when shopping… why not to reduce your consumption of plastic?
- buy small reusable translucent bags in which you can carry fruit and vegetables when shopping
- get yourself a canvas shopping bag and take it with you all the time so that you don’t have to buy plastic shopping bag
- when doing a bigger shopping, take boxes with you, in which you can carry weighted salami, ham or cheese
- take a cartoon package for eggs
- get yourself a reusable water bottle, take water with you from home and do not buy packed water!
- try to find “without package” shops – you can go there with your own containers and they fill it with food (pasta, legumes, spice etc.) or even drugstore stuff!
- check out farmers market
- swap classic light bulbs with LED ones
- turn off the water when cleaning teeth
- wear a sweater and socks before turning on the heat
- try to make DIY cosmetics (cream, bath bombs or salt, facial masks..)
- cook from ingredients, do not buy semi-finished products
- swap tea bags for loose leaf tea
- when shopping clothes, think about the materials, shear, quality – pick the pieces of clothes which will last long and are timeless
- buy bio cotton
- do not support fast fashion
- try to shop clothes in second hands – there are lovely, original and cheap pieces! you just have to find them
There’s much more you can do, but these are some beginner’s tips which came to my mind.
Do you care about our environment? Which of these tips do you apply and what else do you do? Tell me! 🙂